The 5 best things I saw, ate, and did last month…
1. A trip to San Felipe, Mexico: These two days in Baja were much needed. Even though I was there on work terms, scoping out the tourist scene, the trip was pretty laid-back, thanks in large part to the chill seaside town. We ate fish tacos, gazed at the Sea of Cortez, and saw the most amazing 2,000-year-old cacti.
2. Dinner at Venga Venta Cantina & Tequila Bar: For a taste of Mexico closer to home, Venga Venga in Chula Vista is my new favorite spot. Tucked in the Otay Ranch Town Center mall, this lounge-like restaurant has energy, great decor, a charming patio, and tasty, thoughtful menu. I was invited to try the Guadalajara-inspired menu, a part of the restaurant’s new Destination menu series, and I was blown away. Authentic flautas, infused tequilas, a Mexican take on caprese salad—the chef clearly had fun making the menu, and I’m happy to eat the fruits of his labor. FYI, the Guadalajara menu runs through September 30 before switching to a new region of Mexico.
3. My SoCal’d Life makeover: The logo! The template! The colors! I feel so much more re-energized to blog now that it has a new look.
4. Nomad Donuts: The artisanal donuterie (my word) has really found its footing since it opened a few months ago. Wacky flavors are the m.o, and I loved the lavender sugar donut holes (not pictured) most of all. One of my closest girlfriends from college came to visit that weekend, and it was the perfect way to introduce her to San Diego’s sweet side.
5. Days like these: I’m so thankful to live in a beautiful place like San Diego and for beautiful photo opps like a colorful umbrella positioned perfectly at the Coronado dog beach.